Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Today's show 19/05/11

It is a deligtful sunny day here in North Wales today, and following all of the recent rain we have had here perhaps I should go in to the garden and cut the grass. It could certainly do with it. Alternatively I might want to stay in and listen to your programme, so can you tempt me today?
 
1) KEN CLARKE - Ken Clarke, Justice Secretary got into trouble yesterday for suggesting that some types of rape are more serious than others. We talk to someone that says that the effect of rape on the victim is always devastating, and somebody else who says that Ken Clarke might just be right : I didn't hear Mr Clarke's interview on Radio 5, but we have all had occasions when we knew what we meant to say but we didn't say what we meant, including your good self. However, and according to the New Statesman, Mr Clarke appears to be safe in his post thanks to personal intervention by Ed Miliband (http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/05/clarke-miliband-labour-policy), so that was a result for one of them at least. Fortunately I don't have any experience of rape, and I'm not sure that this is the kind of thing that I want - or need - to listen to today, thank you. Next...
 
2) CYCLE HELMETS - Should cycle helmets be made compulsory? Do they make a difference anyway, and if they were made compulsory would this stop people from cycling? : I don't own a bike and I haven't ridden one since the days when childrens' playground surfaces were made of good old-fashioned concrete. On that basis, I feel totally unqualified to answer your questions, and this whole item is of no interest to me. Next...

3) BRITAIN'S DROUGHT - Much of Britain is suffering from a drought. Some places have had only 10% of the usual rainfall in the last two months. Are you somebody who's loving it or hating? : Is this a BBC-sponsored man-made global warming tosh discussion? I suspect it will turn in to one. I live in North Wales where we have our own micro-climate. Common perception is that "it always rains in Wales" but it is simply not true. It is a misconception generated by visitors to the area during the summer months of July and August when, it is true, it chucks it down most of the time. For example, last year we had a relatively dry April, May and June, but come 1st July the heavens opened and it didn't stop until towards the end of August. There were a few nice days, and only a few that caused us to think "Let's go to the beach", even though it is only a few miles away. This years seems to be going much the same way, but May has definitely been wetter and colder than last year. I remember the summer of 1976 well, but the UK has a much better water infrastructure now than it did then so comparisons are fairly meaningless. So, do I love it or hate it? Hmmm... I'll go for your as usual unpublished middle option of "Not Bothered". Next...
 
4) STEPHEN LAWRENCE - Two men will now face trial for the murder of Stephen Lawrence. As a result of his killing, many things in Britain have changed. For the better, or for the worse? : I have no idea, but I am sure that the judicial system will take its course. Again, this is not the kind of lunchtime listening I am looking for today.
 
Time to get my lawn mower out, I think.

No comments: