Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Today's show 16/08/11


Another day, another four topics that mean absolutely nothing to me. Are you proud of what you do?

1) RAIL FARES INCREASE - Rail commuters are likely to face rises of 8% in their season tickets. Have you been priced off the railway? : I have a choice of two railway stations that I can use to access the national network. One is on the Cambrian Line that runs south along the coast to Machynlleth and then on to Shrewsbury, from where I can catch another train in to England. Journey time to Shrewsbury (i.e. before I catch another train to my ultimate destination) by that route is about 3 hour 40 minutes. Shrewsbury is 70 miles from here, and I can drive there in 1 hour 30 minutes. The other station I can use is Bangor on the North Wales coast, but it is 25 miles away, so a 45 minute drive. From there I can catch a direct train to Birmingham or London (journey time 3hours 15 minutes), so it is not too bad. However, I take the view that once I am in the car and driving I may as well continue to where I want to go to. However, we rarely leave Wales these days and find journeys in to England a real chore and only to be undertaken if absolutely necessary. As for commuting, well mine involves walking from one room in my home to another room. You can probably guess from all this that my answer to your question is "No". Next... (The link for this story on JV's web page was a duplicate of the one for the next story...)

2) TURNING DETECTIVE - A man whose laptop was stolen in the riots uses a device fitted in the machine to trace it. Have you ever turned detective to get your stuff back? : Good for him to have the foresight to fit the tracking device - I'm impressed. However, I have never done any detection of my own. Next...
 
3) GANGS - After 1, we discuss how to stop your child joining a gang. Find out more in this Guardian article : What child is that then? We don't have any, so this is of no interest to me. Next...
 
4) FINDING YOUR FIRST LOVE - And getting back in touch with your first love. Find out more in this Daily Mail article : Aaaahhh... the Daily Mail... bless. Why on earth would I want to do that? Remember, it was me that dumped you.

No comments: