Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Monday 21 November 2011

Today's show 21/11/11


I take it that normal service has been resumed today, after "The News" had a day off on Friday while your programme turned in to a two-hour advertisement for Cliff Richard's latest album. I think you mentioned a children's charity once or twice too.

Today's issue that affects me: I forgot to put out our recycled waste boxes last night, so what am I going to do with all of this cardboard until next Monday? Doh!

There are a few Parish Notices to mention before I deal with today's programme...

First, of course, is that my blog passed 10000 (Ten Thousand) page views yesterday. Sincere thanks go to my valued readers.

Next is the news that the BBC are in the news - again! The Daily Mail published a story over the weekend concerning the BBC's view on man-made global warming. Unfortunately the Daily Mail have chosen to remove their story (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063737/BBCs-Mr-Climate-Change-accepted-15-000-grants-university-rocked-global-warning-scandal.html
), and we can only wonder why that may be, but fortunately the text of it lives on in other places, such as http://www.prisonplanet.com/bbcs-mr-climate-change-accepted-15000-in-grants-from-university-rocked-by-global-warming-scandal.html:
BBC’s Mr Climate Change accepted £15,000 in grants from university rocked by global warming scandal

UK Daily Mail - November 20, 2011
A senior BBC journalist accepted £15,000 in grants from the university at the heart of the ‘Climategate’ scandal – and later went on to cover the story without declaring an interest to viewers.
Roger Harrabin, the BBC’s ‘environment analyst’, used the money from the University of East Anglia’s Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research to fund an ‘ad hoc’ partnership he ran with a friend.

I am not of fan of Harrabin and the lies he peddles as "facts", but this at least explains why he does it. The BBC? Impartial? You don't know the meaning of the word!


More BBC news, and it now seems that the BBC's geography is getting even worse, as New Zealand is now - apparently - in Asia:
If the BBC are now moving countries from one continent to another, what hope is there for the more specific and local geography used by your programme? Have you managed to find the "delightfully named Blitheroe" on a map of the UK yet?

It is Monday today, so you'll be struggling for stories anyway, but let's have a look at what you have found...

1) RENTING VS BUYING - The government wants to subsidise first time buyers, but what’s wrong with renting? We look at the pros and cons of renting versus buying : I've only ever rented a property once. This was for two months back in 1984 when I moved from one part of the country to another and there was a delay in the purchase of my new home. Since then I have been fortunate enough to own my home, so this item has no relevance to me. You said on Ken's show, "Perhaps it is time for us all to stop buying properties and just rent". Are you including yourself in "us all" by any chance? I thought not. Next...

2) PE - Should children be tested for PE, just like they are for other subjects? : I was! It appeared on my School Reports. However, we still don't appear to have any children. Next...

3) SWEARING AT POLICE - A judge says that swearing at the police is no longer a crime because they’re so used to it. Find out more in this article from the Telegraph : Our local community policeman seems to be a nice chap, even though his visits are somewhat infrequent. Next time I see him perhaps I'll give this a try, see what happens, and let you know. Or perhaps not. You said on Ken's show, "Let's not go in to this any more". That is the best idea you have ever had, and I will take your advice. Next...

4) FISHY HANDBAG - We discuss the M&S handbag that smells of fish. Have you ever had to return something because it smells? Find out more in this article from the Telegraph : Another one from the Telegraph? Was the Daily Mail not delivered today? You said on Ken's show, "We can't find anybody <who owns one of these bags> at the moment" and appealed for contributor. Sounds as though the usual Jeremy Vine Show research effort has been made! And how do I go about returning a news-based lunchtime radio programme that stinks, every day?

The Jeremy Vine Show - struggling for news, views and live guests - every Monday

2 comments:

gill Kerry said...

Seems the beeb dont hav a seperate section for australasia or whatever its called, the antipodes?

gill Kerry said...

Just got nxt weeks radio times and JV is live from Mumbai nxt Monday and seems back in the studio Tuesday. Whats that about?