Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Monday 13 February 2012

Today's show 13/02/12


Monday morning, and let's deal the important business first. While having lunch with my parents yesterday my Mum said about my blog, "You are very naughty, leave the poor man alone". I have given her suggestion due consideration and will act accordingly. Business as normal then...

It was a busy day on my blog on Friday with over 250 visitors. My usage statistics tell me that a lot of these arrived at my site following some comments I made on a BBC news page containing guidance for journalists when using Twitter. My comments were posted without modification and included a link to my blog. How nice of the BBC to promote it ... thank you!

Let's continue with a quick look at the news stories you won't be covering today. You have a choice of source for the first one...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9073142/BBC-buried-Savile-sex-abuse-claims-to-save-its-reputation.html
BBC 'buried Savile sex abuse claims to save its reputation’
The BBC shelved a Newsnight investigation into allegations that Sir Jimmy Savile sexually abused a teenage girl in his dressing room at Television Centre, it has emerged.
BBC shelved Jimmy Savile sex abuse investigation 'to protect its own reputation'
The BBC shelved a Newsnight investigation into allegations that Sir Jimmy Savile sexually abused teenage girls at its studios, it has been revealed.

There is not a lot that can be done now about any alleged misdemeanours that Mr Savile may have committed, but the BBC's behaviour is incredible. This is nothing more than a cover-up of a story in which the BBC has already invested TV Licence Poll Tax payers' money, and all for nothing. As for their reputation, this cover-up does not damage the BBC's reputation - it enhances it! It reinforces the view held by many that the BBC only tells its viewers and listeners what it wants to broadcast: a filtered, manipulated, sanitised and biased version of what is actually "news". And, of course, your programme is no different.

Talking of filtered, manipulated, sanitised and biased news, here is a story from the Daily Mail...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099922/BBCs-Weather-Test-washout-bid-check-accuracy-forecasts-vanishes-storm-wrangling-predicted.html
BBC's Weather Test washout: Bid to check accuracy of forecasts vanishes in storm of wrangling that no one predicted
A row between weathermen threatens to wreck a BBC-funded project to test the accuracy of Britain’s weather forecasts. The study, estimated to have cost tens of thousands of pounds of licence fee payers’ money, has been devised by the BBC’s senior environment analyst, Roger Harrabin. But seven of the eight forecasters and bodies asked to take part have not agreed, with two blaming Mr Harrabin for undermining the study’s credibility, claiming that his reputation is tarnished by his close links to green groups who believe in man-made climate change.

While I take anything that Harrabin tells me with a lorry load of scepticism, these checks are actually a good idea. However, they must be run by a trustworthy and impartial body, and the BBC is neither of those.

And finally...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9074284/BBC-spends-19000-treating-stressed-out-staff-at-The-Priory.html
BBC spends £19,000 treating stressed out staff at The Priory
The BBC would not reveal whether executives were referred to the centre for mental health issues or for drug addiction, but confirmed it had spent £18,949 on treatments in 2010 and 2011 because there was a “compelling” business reason to do so. However, it is understood that the corporation agreed to spend licence fee payers’ money on the care centre because its staff were “severely stressed” because of a series of initiatives which had not gone according to plan, and the pressures of cost cutting. Matthew Elliott, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: ... “Most BBC viewers can't afford to convalesce at this kind of retreat. The NHS is good enough for licence-fee payers, so it should be good enough for BBC staff too."

Bless. I used to have a stressful job, but I was never offered treatment of this kind. Perhaps that was because my employers at that time did not have the advantage of the "unique way in which the BBC is funded".

Your Twitter feed has just told me that you will not be covering the arrests of various hacks from The Sun today (tomorrow maybe?) and instead we will have to endure this load of tosh instead...

1) GREECE - Violence flares in Greece as its parliament passes an unpopular austerity bill as part of the bailout deal. What is life like for ordinary Greeks as economic hardship bites?: I cannot imagine. I was fully aware that it was kicking off in Athens last night, but what a shame that BBC TV News could not be bothered to tell me anything about it. The early evening broadcast spent over 6 minutes (out of 15) telling me that some drug raddled former celebrity had achieved her ultimate ambition, and yet devoted less than 90 seconds to a major uprising in a European capital that could well have an affect on every country in the EU. It was clear which story was most important to the programme editor, but this only continues to show the deep corruption of "public service" broadcasting of real news which is just another facet of the BBC's devaluing of its audience as so-called celebrities steal the headlines. Later coverage again seemed to spend more time covering the BAFTAs than anything happening in Greece. The BBC is in receipt of millions of pounds from the EU, so perhaps the images of Athens ablaze are seen as unhelpful while the possible death of democracy is taking place. From what I saw, the BBC were unable to find anyone who could point out that unelected technocrats imposing Germanic austerity against the will of the Greek people is not really "democracy" in the first place. Your chat with Ken earlier failed to convince me that your programme will be any different to what I saw, or didn't see, last night. Next...

2) FROZEN RIVER - A man who stripped down to his underwear and crawled across a frozen river to rescue his trapped dog has been condemned by firefighters : There is no ice here, we don't have a dog, and I have more sense in my little finger. Next...

3) WHITNEY HOUSTON - We reflect on the death of one of the most celebrated female singers of all time, Whitney Houston : I always knew that astronaut Jim Lovell's famous line would always have another meaning one day. Whitney's records used to shoot-up the charts with such speed. When I heard the news I couldn’t help but crack up with emotion and it was nothing like ecstacy. She was a real heroin. It’s such a blow. She really made a hash of things though and her life just went to pot. Someone should have kept tabs on her. Can you tell I care as much about her now as I did on Friday? Next...

4) SPITTING - Enfield in north London wants to be the first area in the country to ban spitting in public : I don't spit, and I am not aware of Gwynedd council taking the same measures. However, if I do start spitting, and if I ever go to Enfield, I shall consider myself educated by your programme. Cheers!

The Jeremy Vine Show - enough to make anybody spit

8 comments:

Gill said...

the bit about the ice, wouldn't it make sense, relatively speaking, to lie down, to spread the load as it were? I must admit i would probably be daft enough if it was my cat!!

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

Just had to nip out in the car and my radio went straight to JV. A Fire Service chap kept saying "Don't go on the ice - call us" and JV kept saying "Yes, but what if you really had to" and again ignored what his expert was saying. The Fire Service guy said there were two dog owner deaths in Essex last winter while attempting to rescue dogs from icy water. Both dogs survived. I turned off then.

Will said...

1st of all wth regard to Sir Jimmy Saville then if the person is still alive who this supposed to have happened too then come forward or produce evidence towards it,if not then dont have a go at someone who cant defend themselves as they are now deceased.

This is part why I never buy a newspaper,dont watch the news and never read News websites.The only news I hear is the 3 mins every hr on R2 and if travelling and wearing headphones then thats my hourly headphone rest.

JV never treats the Fire Service with any respect and has been the reason why Ive emailed him twice before regarding his lack of respect for the Fire service. One was why should they get to watch DVD's while on duty and also 'Why do we need a Fire Service any longer as everyone has a smoke alarm these days'

Tosser of the highest degree!

Anonymous said...

The Jimmy Saville story is just a newspaper attack on the BBC, there's no actual basis to it.

Its also misleading to state as the Telegraph does: 'The BBC had hoped to broadcast the Newsnight report in December...Instead, the corporation screened two tribute programmes celebrating Savile’s lengthy BBC career as presenter of Jim’ll Fix It and Top of the Pops, and also as a Radio 1 DJ.'

These programmes weren't 'instead' of the Newsnight report.

Are you accusing Peter Rippon, Newsnight Editor of lying? Can you substantiate that?

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

Blimey... you're getting around...

I didn't even mention Rippon, so how can have I accused him of anything?

Whether the Telegraph did is up to you to decide.

Anonymous said...

'the BBC's behaviour is incredible. This is nothing more than a cover-up of a story ...this cover-up ...reinforces the view held by many that the BBC only tells its viewers and listeners what it wants to broadcast: a filtered, manipulated, sanitised and biased version of what is actually "news".'

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

From the Daily Mail article: The Corporation has now been accused of attempting to cover up the allegations...

From the Telegraph: The BBC now stands accused of covering up the allegations...

The term "cover up" was used by two leading national newspapers, and I make no apology for repeating their use of the term. The rest was my text and I stand by every word.

Anonymous said...

Why can't the BBC ever admit when they're in the wrong for once? Actually, make that ninth. The BBC will probably have more revelations revealed later this year. It wouldn't shock me. They have become a sneaky sort. It makes me wonder if any of their CURRENT DJ's (yes, even the one's in their twenties) may be up to anything untoward.