Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Monday 12 March 2012

Today's show 12/03/12


Just for a change it is me that is late today. I had to go out on an errand and with no DAB radio in my car I had the opportunity, if that is what it was, of listening to the first 45 minutes of your programme. I was again reminded why I don't listen every day.
 
The last item on the 12:00 news concerned the libel payment given to BBC EastEnders actor Steve McFadden by the News Of The World. No surprise that the perfect storm of a BBC employee and NOTW was mentioned, especially in that context, and no surprise either that your first words after the news were "Remind me, who published the News Of The World?". Any opportunity to have a dig at Murdoch is not to be missed, is it Jeremy?
 
The programme then proceeded in to the first discussion item:
 
1) US SOLDIERS - An American soldier shoots dead 16 Afghans, including 9 children. We talk to someone who asks: why do we ally ourselves to the US when they continually bring shame on themselves, and us as well? : Another "someone", and this time it was Peter Oborne who is the Daily Telegraph's chief political commentator, apparently, or otherwise known as a "journalist". You also spoke to another "someone" and that was ex-RAF navigator and military commentator John Nichol. It was a reasonably interesting discussion, but I cannot honestly say that my life was enriched by it and I was left feeling that one of your guests knew what he was talking about and the other one did not. I'll leave you to work out which was which. The discussion included yet another "let's play the most (in)appropriate song we can" moment when you went straight from this discussion in to Bruce Springsteen's "Wherever this flag's flown we take care of our own". Do you do it deliberately? Next...

We then moved on to this:
 
2) GAY MARRIAGE - The Catholic Church calls on their congregation to oppose gay marriage. But did you attend a civil partnership ceremony and change your mind about gay marriage? : I have never attended a gay marriage, but it will almost certainly happen one day. I'll admit that my patience got the better of me about 10 minutes in and I switched over to Heart FM to satisfy my craving for "entertainment". Next...

3) RAPE - A Mumsnet survey suggest that 80% of rapes and sexual assaults are not reported. Why do so many women not report rape? Find out more in this artcile from the Telegraph : Errr... Next...

4) INTERVIEW QUESTIONS - We talk about the job interview questions designed to catch you out, such as “If you were a dinosaur, which one would you be?” and “Try to sell me your biro.” : In all honesty, I cannot ever see me being involved in another job interview, either as an employee or as an employer.
 
In the 40-odd minutes that I listened you invited three times to "follow me on Twitter" or "message me on Twitter". Thanks for the invitation, but you'll need to unblock me first. And I notice that you have changed your Twitter profile from "All views personal of course" to "All views are my mum's". I must remember to mention that in my letter to the BBC Trust as I am sure they will be interested.
 
The Jeremy Vine Show - making you feel like you need a shower

5 comments:

Gill said...

What's an artcile - Find out more in this artcile from the Telegraph

Love it when the JV scribe doesn't use the spell checker.

Can't stand Murdock personally, but JV cannot let an opportunity go by. I bet he used that high pitched sneery tone

Anonymous said...

'In the 40-odd minutes that I listened you invited three times to "follow me on Twitter" or "message me on Twitter". Thanks for the invitation, but you'll need to unblock me first. And I notice that you have changed your Twitter profile from "All views personal of course" to "All views are my mum's". I must remember to mention that in my letter to the BBC Trust as I am sure they will be interested.'

--

As will I.

To get from the already idiotic weasel that most BBC employees use (with BBC connivance) to this, which rather flouts Helen (possible future DG) Boaden's pleas to make nice on twitter, takes some arrogance.

Stonyground said...

On his trailer JV admitted to being baffled for ages by a word that he didn't know the meaning of. He joked that they didn't have dictionaries in those days. In fact, they did have dictionaries, he just could't be arsed to look the word up. If I could remember what the word in question was I would look it up and provide a definition. I just found it interesting that this aversion to making any kind of effort to find things out seems to have been with him for a while.

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

Thanks Gill ... I had spotted artcile but just couldn't be bothered. You know how it is sometimes!

Thanks SG ... I heard in say that while I was in the car. The words were "eponymous" and "sic". JV rule number one: If you haven't got the information then make it up, or guess. Perhaps he has tried to wing it all his life!

Stonyground said...

Thanks guys, that was the word that was evading me.

eponymous adj. having the name that is used as the title or name of something else, especially the title of a book, play, or film.

sic adv. thus or so, used within brackets to indicate that what precedes it is written intentionally or is copied verbatum from the original, even if it appears to be a mistake.

Encarta World English Dictionary.