Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Today's show 21/03/12


Budget day, so no surprises here...

1) ROBIN HOOD BUDGET? - It’s Budget Day and we ask: will it be a Robin Hood Budget? Will the Chancellor take from the rich and give to the poor or will it be the other way round? : I am going to assume that you are dealing with today's four topics in the order shown on your web page, even though this has not occurred in the last few days. If that is the case, can I take it that you will be trying to guess what Osbourne will say at 12:30? How utterley pointless. I have no doubt that you will have two experts and loads of callers saying "He should do this" and "He should do that", but I just have a suspicion that Osbourne has already decided what will happen. Next...

2) DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - Dennis Waterman has been criticised for justifying hitting his ex-wife but should we spend a bit more time listening to what he says? Find out more in this article from the Telegraph : I cannot imagine for one moment ANY circumstance when I would consider thumping anybody (except perhaps in desperate self-defence). As for listening to what Waterman says, presumably you mean this from the last paragraph of Telegraph article: The full interview can be seen on Piers Morgan’s Life Stories which airs next month on ITV. Domestic violence and Piers Morgan ... I think I'll give it a miss, thanks. Oh, and I'll be listening to the budget on Radio 4 from 12:30. Next...

3) ASPIRIN - We discuss the wonder drug that is aspirin. It’s a pain killer, it’s good for the heart and now can it really stop cancer? : You must have missed the fourth paragraph from the BBC news page you link to, which says: But experts warn that there is still not enough proof to recommend it to prevent cancer cases and deaths and warn that the drug can cause dangerous side effects like stomach bleeds. I think that makes the answer to your question to be either "No" or "Maybe not". Next...

4) BUDGET REVIEW - And at 1.30, we return to the Budget - has it helped the millions or has it helped the millionaires? : Having listened to the budget broadcast I will be more than happy to form my own opinion, thanks.

3 comments:

Gill said...

Folk have been taking aspirin for years, and are still getting cancer. Reminds me of the old joke about using it as birth control - just keep it between your legs!!
I think the BBC mean that DW is to justify violence.
Why don't the BBC put JV show on later, after the budget, then it might be more relevant. Still won't listen 'tho. I've already formed my view on Gideon's budget

Gill said...

Oh, its missed my italicising with the word trying, as in trying to justify violence. Where did I go wrong?

Stonyground said...

It would appear that the visit from Rob yesterday was a drive-by. It seems that your belief that there are lots of people who are prepared to tell you that you are wasting your time, but nobody who is prepared to defend the JV show, is pretty much spot on.